Harmonic Mean Calculator
Calculate the harmonic mean of a set of data.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- What is the harmonic mean, and why is it important?
- The harmonic mean is a type of average that gives more weight to smaller values in a dataset. It’s vital in various fields, including physics and finance, where rates, ratios, and reciprocals play a significant role.
- What is the formula for calculating the harmonic mean?
- The formula for calculating the harmonic mean of a dataset with n values, denoted as x₁, x₂, …, xₙ, is:
- Where n is the number of values in the dataset.
- How do I interpret harmonic mean values?
- The harmonic mean is used to calculate an average of reciprocal values. It’s useful when dealing with rates or ratios, ensuring that smaller values contribute significantly to the final average. It’s especially relevant when dealing with quantities inversely proportional to each other.